What kind of whetstone should I get?
The Ruzicka Family
2003-12-20 15:10:51 UTC
Hello!

I just bought my wife some Global knives for Christmas (she likes the
lighter weight, handle shape, and finer edge).
I'm going to also get some knife sharpener guides for use with a whetstone,
so we can keep the 30 degree edge on the knives.
My question is though, since I can't afford to get multiple types of
whetstones, which single type should I get? When I look on Amazon.com, I
see:
King Pro Standard Whetstone, Medium Grit
Global Ceramic Whetstone, Medium Grit
Global Two-Sided Water Stone, Rough/Medium
Global Ceramic Whetstone, Fine Grit
Global Ceramic Whetstone, Rough Grit

So, as you can see, I can choose from standard, ceramic, or water stones. I
also have the option of fine, medium, or rough stones. HELP! I haven't a
clue as to what would be best. I've heard that ceramics wear better and
last longer, but the grit stumps me.

Any and all serious advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jerry Avins
2003-12-20 16:33:18 UTC
Post by The Ruzicka Family
[...]
When the front and back of a knife are virtually indistinguishable
("edge" doesn't apply in that context), a coarse stone might be useful,
but a grindwheel is more practical. For knifes in poor shape, medium is
a good grit to start with. To finish, you want at least fine. I use
extra fine and find it worth while. When I can remove hair from my leg
or arm with a knife, I can slice tomato 1/16" thick and cut onion
without tearing. Such an edge won't last more than one or two slices on
glass, china, or a metal tray, but it lasts for weeks on wooden cutting
boards. Bread dulls knives quickly, paper even more quickly. I often use
a serrated bread knife.

I use oil stones. I think it's a matter of personal choice. A
moter-driven water wheel ("Wen Wet Wheel", e.g. speeds the work. Read
http://gpvec.unl.edu/files/feedlot/Sharp2K.htm and the very similar
http://gpvec.unl.edu/files/feedlot/Sharp1.htm by the same author.

Jerry
Scott
2004-01-02 01:11:27 UTC
As long as you do not let the knives get too dull, a fine grit is the
right choice. It may take longer to get an edge that you are happy
with because they are less abrasive than a Rought/Medium Grit blade.

- Just whatever you do, dont get an electric sharpener, they'll grind
the life right out of your blade and you'll have less control.

Good luck,
Scott
http://www.homeculinaryjournal.com
Russ Grimm
2004-01-14 23:22:37 UTC
Honestly, one of those inexpensive, sharpeners with the "v" shaped
carbide cutters is great...and convenient. Convenience counts when you
don't have time to be fussy.

Keep a ceramic stick to do a final hone on the tomato knife if you want,
and don't use human hair as a test---it is very hard and will actually
dull your knive.

Russ in Anchorage
Jerry Avins
2004-01-14 23:22:23 UTC
Post by Russ Grimm
Honestly, one of those inexpensive, sharpeners with the "v" shaped
carbide cutters is great...and convenient. Convenience counts when you
don't have time to be fussy.
Keep a ceramic stick to do a final hone on the tomato knife if you want,
and don't use human hair as a test---it is very hard and will actually
dull your knive.
Russ in Anchorage

A few hairs for a test (or demo) won't noticeably dull the edge, but
regularly slicing bread will. (Paper is abrasive too, but you're not
likely to cut much of that with a kitchen knife you respect.) The only
serrated knife in my rack is for cutting bread, but I usually slice
bread with an easily resharpened carbon-steel machete.

Jerry
Tdog
2004-03-06 00:31:31 UTC
I am new to the group, I was just browsing for some information on a pasta
maker and ran across your post.

I have used a diamond honing stone for the past two years on my hunting
knives and cooking knives. These stones are excellent for fine edges on
cooking knives and they are not too much money...they are around 20 dollars
for one and they come in two grades.
Blue being coarse and red being a fine stone used mainly for filet knife.